Preparing for Winter – Frozen and Burst Pipes
Protect your home this winter from frozen and burst pipes!..
With temperatures plummeting to below f-f-f-freezing in many parts of the country overnight and a colder than average December forecast, be prepared and protect your home this winter! Freezing conditions pose a high risk of frozen and burst pipes, causing flooding to thousands of properties every day during the winter months. Not only can the damage be devastating to your home, putting the damage right can be a stressful and costly process. From arranging an emergency plumber to fix the leak, through to restoring the damage and carrying out building repairs.
Here’s a few hints and tips to help you prepare for the cold snap this winter:
- Lag pipes – ensure visible pipes are insulated with pre formed foam
- Insulate water tanks – wrap your water tank with a glass fibre jacket
- Repair any leaking taps – dripping taps freeze easily so ensure these are fixed and washers replaced
- Ensure your boiler has been serviced
- If you’re going away:
- keep your heating on low or set to come on a couple of times a day.
- alternatively turn the water off and drain down the system.
If you do experience a frozen/burst pipe:
- Turn off the water supply and heating and drain your system to get rid of as much water as possible
- Turn off the electrics if the burst pipe is near the vicinity of any electrical sockets or fuse boxes
- Protect your possessions and move to a safe place
- Mop up any surface water with towels and collect any leaking water in buckets
- Call the emergency trades required to fix your burst pipe and check your electrics (if required)
- Contact your insurers for advices around making an insurance claim
For more advice or for emergency assistance call 0800 0715757 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org